Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Pinterest Fail!

 
Since I won't be able to post at my normal time this week, I didn't post last week and decided to split the difference.  I've been working on putting together a wedding organizer that can be personalized for each bride and groom.  It of course is taking longer than planned, but I've been using postings I found on Pinterest to cross reference and add to what I have. 
 
Working on the binder and searching Pinterest for ideas on what I may have forgotten, made me think of all those Pinterest projects that I've tried and failed at.  I haven't taken photos of all of them, and there have been many, but here are a few.
 
Booties for my son:

Now, this may not look like a fail, but it is.  I followed the directions (to a T, I thought) and we had even recently measured his foot so I choose the pattern that should have been big enough.  What you can't see in the photo is the stitching showing on the back heel and the fact that they did NOT fit my son.  I couldn't even get it on his foot.  Guess I'll have to try again or find a different pattern.  I couldn't get his foot in because the space between the front of the shoe (tongue area) to the heel wasn't wide enough.
 
The apron:

 When cooking, I constantly grab the towel and end up with food all over my pants.  How to solve this problem? Make an apron! I found this cute scalloped edge apron and thought it would be perfect.  I couldn't find material that I liked in which there was enough (the 2 sides are different, the tie is supposed to be what the opposite side is) so I got 3 kinds.  I figured the pockets (was unsure if I wanted them) and the tie could be different, not a big deal.  I printed off the instructions and the pattern.  The pattern was 15 pages and each page was a different file to download and print.  I could deal with that.  Then, as I was trying to put the pattern together, there were only about 5 pages in which I could see the writing....and my printer wasn't out of ink.  I could see a random middle side, one top corner, one bottom corner, and part of the tie back.  Well that wasn't going to work, so I free handed the pattern.  My scallops weren't perfect but the top was to be gathered so I thought they'd be fine.  As I was attempting to gather the top, my thread kept breaking.  Hey it is usable, just not as pretty.

The paper shelves:

This one is partly my inadequate thought process.  I saw that someone had used the flat-rate boxes to help organize their papers and thought it was a great idea, especially since I was in need of one since I had just started the business.  I didn't really want to walk into the post office and take flat rate boxes to used for it and decided to use cereal boxes.  While I was saving them, I saw that for a few other paper holding projects others had used cereal boxes so I thought I was brilliant!  I wanted to just use contact paper I had leftover so I knew it wouldn't be too pretty.  I just wanted to put it together and when I find contact paper I liked, I'd recover it.  As I was putting it together, I discovered that the cereal boxes were different sizes, even if it was the same type of cereal.  I decided that I would just put the taller ones on bottom, not a big deal.  When I was done, I found out that the paper didn't fit into the cereal box! Oh dear.  That wasn't going to fly.  This project was tossed and called a fail.

The homemade ice cream:  I didn't take a picture of this one, but it wasn't ice cream.  The directions said to use Ziploc bags, but we had just run out of the correct sizes.  I figured I could use Tupperware.  Wrong.  After 20 minutes of shaking and it spilling a little, it was still liquid.  The directions said it would take 5 minutes, which I knew that with the Tupperware it would take longer so that wasn't a surprise.  I finally was over my craving and tired of shaking the Tupperware so I just put it in the freezer.  I took it out and put it in the fridge the next day so it would melt slightly and I could shake it some more.  It had turned icy and didn't really shake anymore.  It hadn't completely melted so I decided I'd just add some peanut butter and it'd be pb ice cream.  It was more like pb and ice crystals.  Another fail!

These are just a few of my fails, but I guess I'll learn.  Don't forget about the October Deal and book your consultation for $10 off during the month of October.  I'll be out of the office starting tomorrow, but just email or leave a message and I'll get back to you as soon as I can.
Hope all is well and I'll be sure to post when I get back from Hawaii!!

No comments:

Post a Comment